Probe into revelations about alleged paedophile scandal in Poland

Officials have said a special team will be set up within the National Public Prosecutor’s Office to probe claims made in a documentary about an alleged paedophile scandal in Poland involving celebrities and businessmen.

Image by Joseph Redfield Nino from Pixabay

Image by Joseph Redfield Nino from Pixabay Pixabay License

The special team will be formed on the orders of Poland’s Justice Minister Zbigniew Ziobro, who is also the country’s prosecutor-general.

The documentary, entitled Nic sie nie stało (Nothing Happened) and made by filmmaker Sylwester Latkowski, was aired by public broadcaster TVP on Wednesday evening.

Deputy Justice Minister Michał Wójcik said after the screening that his ministry had a policy of „zero tolerance” towards crimes like paedophilia.

“I can promise that no one will sweep anything under the rug,” he said.

“It was under Zbigniew Ziobro and this government that we really started the battle against paedophilia,” Wójcik added, referring to the ruling conservatives, who came to power in Poland in 2015 and won a second term last year.

A separate documentary aired last year caused shock in Poland by highlighting cases of people who said they were molested by priests in childhood.

At the time, Roman Catholic Archbishop Wojciech Polak, the Primate of Poland, said he was “deeply disturbed” by what he saw in the documentary film Tylko nie mów nikomu (Tell No One) by the brothers Tomasz Sekielski and Marek Sekielski.

(pk/gs)

Source: IAR/PAP

Radio Poland>>>

Polska-IE: Udostępnij...
EnglishIrishPolishRussianSpanish
EnglishIrishPolishRussianSpanish